To mark the occasion, the Group’s employees across the world engaged in a variety of activities, including vision screenings, dedicated events, charity runs and donations.
World Sight Day is observed every year on the second Thursday of October to focus the world's attention on the importance of eyecare. On October 13, thousands of EssilorLuxottica employees worldwide participated in activities to support the advancement of eye health in honor of World Sight Day while promoting “The Right to See” campaign led by the OneSight EssilorLuxottica Foundation. The Foundation has created sustainable access to eyecare for millions of people in underserved communities.
“The Right to See” a global campaign led by the OneSight EssilorLuxottica Foundation
“The Right to See” is a global campaign which puts an emphasis on good vision as a basic human right. The goal is to help eliminate uncorrected poor vision in a generation, as embedded in the Company’s Corporate Social Responsibility program called 'Eyes on the Planet' through the 'Eyes on World Sight' pillar.
For this year’s World Sight Day, the Group and the OneSight EssilorLuxottica Foundation are proud to partner with world-renowned photographer Steve McCurry, who provided powerful portraits of two children. Aimed at delivering vision care to those who need it globally to ensure that everyone has a healthy and fulfilled future thanks to the ability to work and learn, the campaign was supported across EssilorLuxottica’s portfolio of brands, business units and global employee network.
Just like every year, World Sight Day would not have been a success without the support and engagement of EssilorLuxottica’s employees! Below are just a few of the meaningful initiatives implemented across its global sites and cities.
- Together with its partners and the help of over 900 EssilorLuxottica employee volunteers, the OneSight EssilorLuxottica Foundation impacted nearly 400,000 kids and adults with vision care services in North America, Europe, Africa, India, Greater China, Southeast Asia and Australia. The Foundation was also a key contributor to the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness’ global WSD goal of reaching five million people with vision care services throughout the world. This target has been met.
- In Argentina, local teams donated optical and contactology products to the Optics Institute of the East University Center. In addition, and as part of their partnership with different sports associations for the blind and visually impaired, GrandVision Argentina donated sunglasses to the athletes for their training
- In Australia, local teams celebrated the event with a presentation from Wayne Tennent, Director, OneSight EssilorLuxottica Foundation, Australia & New Zealand. It was a great opportunity for everyone to learn more about the Foundation and its purpose.
- In Greater China, a physical gathering of 100 employees was organized in two of the Group’s offices in Shanghai. The event was livestreamed and over 260 employees connected to learn about the Foundation. Other highlights include a charity run sponsored by Oakley, and a volunteer drive to encourage donations to the Foundation. In France, almost 150 employees participated in presentations led by Frédéric Corbasson, who manages European programs for the OneSight EssilorLuxottica Foundation.
- In India, more than 650 employees joined town hall events across 20 locations around the country while 65 employees volunteered at screening events on World Sight Day
- In Italy, the global campaign was showcased broadly to employees on screens within the Group’s local facilities as well as on digital windows in Agordo and Milan. Local teams partnered with "Casa Jannacci" in Milan, a local charitable organization, for the first stop of the "Giornate della Vista" initiative. This will impact over 10 Italian cities in the next few months with eye exams to be conducted on approximately 10.000 people across the country.
- In North America, the Wholesale teams from the US and Canada participated in a Town Hall meeting to celebrate the occasion and learn more about the OneSight EssilorLuxottica Foundation from Becky Palm, OneSight EssilorLuxottica Foundation, VP, Executive Director and General Counsel, North America. Over 1,000 participants tuned in virtually and close to 100 people attended the event in-person. Following the meeting, close to 225 employees, friends and family participated in a 5K run/walk to help raise awareness for World Sight Day.
- The GrandVision team in Portugal organized a special vision initiative for children at the Lisbon zoo to mark WSD in a fun and memorable way. Those who were identified to have vision problems and difficulties in observing small animals were sent to a reserved vision screening area to have their eyes examined by an optometrist.
- Over 1,500 employees attended the two virtual classes on Leonardo on World Sight Day to learn about the Foundation’s work across the four pillars of free and subsidized services
Visit OneSight.EssilorLuxottica.com to learn more about the Foundation and EssilorLuxottica’s mission.